Friday, October 30, 2009

R.I.P. geocities and some thoughts on the future

I'm trying to update my resume. As part of it, I ran across a link (http://www.geocities.com/v_jethava/TEX.zip) for a telephone simulator which I wrote during my 3rd year at IITM as part of a simulation championship. It was probably the only time I used .NET, since Matka, my partner believed it was great and the only thing to go with.

Well, since then matka has moved onto bigger apples and his advice unfortunately has not withstood the test of time :) Anyways, I could not get the geocities link. (Basically I lost my website).

Now, I realize that just as old college photos bring up old memories and have emotional value, same can be said about a website which one spent a lot of the summer creating. People put considerable effort into blogs/webpages etc. And just as diaries provided insight into the minds of great people before they were considered "great" in the past, we might be provided a look into the lives of the celebrities in their pre-celebrity days through the emails/.blogs/tweets etc. that they sent.

Only one problem. The usual deal with the net is that nothing ever gets erased. So, you might find a forum post on favourite movies or an embarrasing tweet abt a co-worker which you did in 2000 also appearing in search results for your name in 2010. Especially painful if you might be standing for elections.

So, solutions:
1. No skeletons in the digital closet.
2. Use of separate identities for professional/non-professional activities :)

No comments:

Post a Comment